Norun Haugen awarded the Stiansen Award for 2019
Animal protector Norun Haugen has been awarded the Stiansen Award for 2019 for her important work documenting the welfare of pigs in Norwegian agriculture. The Award is awared by Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse and consists of NOK 50,000 and a sculpture made by Elena Engelsen.
– With the NRK documentary ‘Secrets of the pork farming industry’, Norun Haugen has put pig welfare on the agenda in Norway. Her courageous work documenting abuses against pigs over a long time demonstrates both commitment and willingness to give animals in the agricultural industry a better life, says the Board of Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse.
Extraordinary effort for the animals
The Stiansen Award is awarded annually to individuals or organisations who have made an extraordinary effort to safeguard the interests of animals. Animal friends at home and abroad nominate candidates to the Award, and an independent jury at Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse recommend candidates to the Board.
– For anyone concerned about animal welfare in the Norwegian food industry, Norun Haugen’s discoveries are of great importance. We hope her important work contributes to greater knowledge about animal welfare in the industry and increases the focus on questions related to animal ethics, says Professor and veterinary Frode Lingaas, head of the Council of Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse
The Council give their recommendations to the Board. The Council consists of Frode Lingaas, Professor and veterinary, Guri Larsen, Professor of Criminology, Lise Myhre, Cartoonist, Roger Petterson, Secretary General of World Animal Protection Sweden, and Bodil Eikeset, leader of the Norwegian Housecat Association. The positions in the Council are personal and unpaid.
Half a million NOK in support
The Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse also provides financial support to projects and organisations concerning animal welfare. The grants are made on the basis of project applications submitted to the foundation. This year, the foundation has distributed nearly half a million Norwegian kroners in support to 12 projects and organisations:
- Dyrebeskyttelsen Lillestrøm og omegn
- Dyrebeskyttelsen Norge Vestfold
- Solplassen omplassering og hjem for eierløse hunder
- NOAH – for dyrs rettigheter (two projects)
- Dyrebeskyttelsen Norge Nord-Jæren
- Göteborgs katthjälp
- Foreningen for omplassering av dyr (two projects)
For more information, please contact info(at)stiansenstiftelsen.no.